Wednesday, January 24, 2018

Young Adult Books for Any Adult

According to The Atlantic, 55% of YA readers are adults.   In the past year I read several that I recommend.

  • Turtles All the Way Down by John Green.
  • Far From the Tree by Robin Benway
  • The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas
  • Who Killed Christopher Goodman by Allan Wolf
  • One of Us is Lying by Karen M. McManus
And some of my very favorite books are YA, such as Bridge to Terabithia, The Book Thief and Johnny Tremain. 


While I don't know why other adults like YA fiction, I enjoy it for a few reasons.
  • Coming of age stories are relatable.  We all have our own experiences "coming of age" and we remember those same feelings, awkwardness and fear.
  • The characters.  The characters! Because their experiences are relatable, so are they.  
  • Sometimes I need to take a break from heavier things.  I call this "cleansing the palate."  Sometimes I don't want a complicated plot with complicated characters.  Sometimes I just want a shorter, faster read.
  • They are so good! So many of them are made into movies because of this.  
  • So many of them focus on relevant social issues- mental health, racism, bullying.  
Have you tried YA yet?  

https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2017/12/why-so-many-adults-are-love-young-adult-literature/547334/

 

No comments:

Post a Comment