Young Adult Books for Any Adult
According to The Atlantic, 55% of YA readers are adults. In the past year I read several that I recommend.
- Turtles All the Way Down by John Green.
- Far From the Tree by Robin Benway
- The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas
- Who Killed Christopher Goodman by Allan Wolf
- One of Us is Lying by Karen M. McManus
And some of my very favorite books are YA, such as Bridge to Terabithia, The Book Thief and Johnny Tremain.
While I don't know why other adults like YA fiction, I enjoy it for a few reasons.
- Coming of age stories are relatable. We all have our own experiences "coming of age" and we remember those same feelings, awkwardness and fear.
- The characters. The characters! Because their experiences are relatable, so are they.
- Sometimes I need to take a break from heavier things. I call this "cleansing the palate." Sometimes I don't want a complicated plot with complicated characters. Sometimes I just want a shorter, faster read.
- They are so good! So many of them are made into movies because of this.
- So many of them focus on relevant social issues- mental health, racism, bullying.
Have you tried YA yet?